9.20.2011

Taco Tuesday-Crock Pot Mexican Chicken

"Taco Tuesday" was a real day at the Chi Omega house on 940 West Maple Street at the University of Arkansas. It was my favorite meal of the week! Oh how I miss that home and those girls. Maybe I should bring that tradition into my own home? Hmmm...that would require me to commit to yet another new thing and I'm pretty much enjoying not having scheduled commitments at this point in life (other than go to work and come home). We shall see :/

This was seriously THE first crock pot recipe I tried. And it came from....(drumroll)...Pinterest! 
(originally pinned from The Larson Lingo blog)
It had no name, so I named it "Mexican Chicken."
Again, for this one, all you do is dump everything in the crock pot. Anyone can make this.

Mexican Chicken

Ingredients
  • Bag of frozen Chicken Breast Tenderloins (2.5-3lb bag)
  •  8 oz block of cream cheese (don't use Fat Free! 1/3 less fat or regular is fine)   
  • *I used 1/2 block of 1/3 less fat cream cheese + 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
  • Can of Black Beans, drained & rinsed.
  • Can of Corn, drained.
  • Can of Rotel (with juice)
  • Additional: 2 cups chicken broth + 2 cups rice
Directions
1) Put frozen chicken in the crock pot.
2) Put Cream cheese on top of the chicken.
3) Dump in the Black Beans (make sure they are drained & rinsed!!!), corn & rotel
4) pour chicken broth in
5) dump in rice & stir to cover
 
*Cook on low 6-8 hours  
 
The original recipe does not call for the rice & chicken broth, rather, it cooks all other ingredients (turns out a bit soup-y) & serves over rice to soak up some of the liquid. I thought that cooking with rice (I used brown) worked out perfect! You can throw this over soft tortillas or chips, or just eat as a rice bowl. 
 
Ole! 

No comments:

Post a Comment