1.01.2011

Welcome, 2011!...and a recipe!

It is now the year 2011. The Two Thousand Eleventh Year!!! This is so weird to me...I remember in school having trouble remembering to change the single last digit of the date (you know, 94, 95, 96...the 9 stayed the same and you only had to remember to change the last number). And then in the 2000's, not having to write "19" "something" anymore was very strange, but then I got used to the '04, '05, '06, etc because, again, you just had to change the last number. Now we have to change the last TWO digits, and that is a little much for my forgetful mind. Anyway, those are my random thoughts for the day.

How did you celebrate the new year? At home? At a friends' house? With family? On the ski slopes? Out on the town? However you brought in the new year, I hope you had a blast!


Derek and I celebrated at a friend's place with TONS of great food, and then went out to a party hosted by Next Level Events. It was held at the train station in downtown little rock and they had a DJ. I had so much fun because I knew almost everyone there. Literally. The entire UofA campus from 2003-present was there. Or at least it seemed like it. It was a nice surprise because a lot of times I don't enjoy going out because there is a strange mix of people that you don't know (or don't care to know), and it's just not as much fun as being with friends.

 Shay and Mark

 our kicks for the night

 Shay, here, is a pro at laundry. 

"see what had happened was..." Someone opened a bottle of champagne and when they popped the cork, it hit the ceiling and landed in a glass of red wine....you can figure out the rest! How odd? Must have been the perfect angle because we were on the complete other side of the room! Nevertheless, his brand new shirt is red wine-free!

 Mark has something "up his sleeve" for the cab driver. A mini pig-in-the-blanket. 
The driver ate it! And he liked it. WOW. Wish we could have paid him in food instead of cash...

it's a bird...with a credit card in hand

I didn't take as many pictures as normal (shocker, I know) because I dropped my camera. OUCH. Yes, I have only had this camera for 6 months and the reason I got a new one was because I dropped the last one. I swear I keep it in a case and have the wristlet around my wrist most of the time, but it just slipped. So, now when you turn my camera on, the screen has all of these lines and streaks across it and you can't see what you're shooting, nor can you view the picture after you take it. Considering that, the pictures that we blindly took didn't turn out so bad.

 our hats that we wore for 2 seconds

Happy New Year from the train station!

And last, I wanted to share a dip recipe that I made last night. It doesn't have a name...and I didn't make it up on my own. I just took a dip that my friend, Tammy, has made before and added my own little touches. I wish I had a picture of this colorful dip, but I don't, so you'll just have to make it for yourself and see!

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can rotel, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black olives, drained & finely chopped
1 avocado, peeled & finely chopped
chopped chives (optional-I HATE onions so I omitted them)
1 cup Mexican blend finely shredded cheese
lime juice
cumin
pepper
Chardonnay, Lime & Cilantro seasoning (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil (optional)

Add all canned ingredients and cheese in a medium-size bowl and mix together. Cover with the juice of one lime (so that the avocado won't brown). The spices are fine to add by themselves, and I just so happened to have the Chardonnay, Lime & Cilantro seasoning that was given to me at my Recipe Shower last year. It is made by Cherchies and I use it all the time, but have no clue where it came from. It's AMAZING! I chose to whisk the spices together with some olive oil so that it would cover the other ingredients better. You can also add paprika or whatever spices you'd like. Serve with chips (I used blue corn tortilla chips)

This is something I make often because it has a variety of ingredients and it is fairly healthy and very versatile. You can enjoy it with chips, on a taco or burrito with chicken or fish, mix it with some rice for a colorful rice bowl, or like Derek, make a Mexican breakfast burrito with it. He just scrambled eggs and spooned some of the dip and hot sauce over them to enjoy in a burrito. Yum!

I'll be sharing more recipes soon! Enjoy the first day of the new year, 1/1/11! (now that's not hard to write:) )


No comments:

Post a Comment