1.07.2011

Scrumptious Soups

I wanted to share two of my new favorite soup-y recipes that I've enjoyed making this fall.What I love about them both is that they aren't too time-consuming and they are full of flavor. I did, however, have to step out of my comfort zone to try them, because I had never had some of the ingredients before. But once I tried them, I fell in love. Obviously, because I've made them more than once and they are blog-worthy.

Savory White Chicken Chilli


This recipe is from good ole Betty Crocker-a favorite recipe source
Don't freak out about the long list of ingredients. It's so simple once you get started, and has a kick you will LOVE!

Ingredients:

  Tbsp olive or canola oil
1
lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1
  medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2
  cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2
cups chicken broth (I use reduced fat, low sodium broth)
1
medium red bell pepper, chopped (I omitted these, but 1 can rotel or chopped tomatoes would be good in this)
Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4
 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
2
  cans (15 oz each) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained
1
  can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
1/4
  cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used 1 tsp dried because I'm not a huge cilantro fan)
container (6 oz) Yoplait® Greek Fat Free plain yogurt (I used 1/2 cup fat free sour cream)
  1. In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken, onion and garlic 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and yogurt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and yogurt. Serve with additional yogurt and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Makes 4 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
 
We.love.this.recipe! mmmm! This is a great leftover for lunch.
For a printer-friendly version, click here.


Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe is from Kraft Foods-another one of my favorite sources for recipes!
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2   butternut squash (4 lb.), peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 clove  garlic, minced (I buy the minced garlic and use ~1-2 Tbsp)
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
2 cans  (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth (I use reduced fat, low sodium)
1/2 cup Reduced Fat or Light Sour Cream (I used fat free-it melted just fine)
Saltine Crackers 


HEAT oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add squash, onions and garlic; cook 5 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in allspice; cook and stir 1 min.
ADD broth. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat 15 min. or until squash is tender. Process, in batches, in food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
LADLE into 8 bowls. Top with sour cream; swirl slightly. Serve with crackers.

For a printer-friendly version, click here.

We like to enjoy this soup with baked chicken breast and steamed veggies (like broccoli or asparagus). It is also great for lunch the next day with a turkey sandwich!

I hope you'll try these warm soups out since Winter is here! You can find the nutrition information when you click on the printer-friendly versions (if you follow the alterations I made, the calories, fat, and sodium will be lower).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment