3.06.2011

It's been a while...

Well, I have been a bad blogger for the past month. Life has been fast paced and filled with school and work! Also, as a member of the American Dietetic Association, I have to mention that March is National Nutrition Month! This year's theme: Eat Right With Color. More on that to come.

For the month of February, I was without a camera (had to send it off for repair) and I traveled to Washington D.C. for a Public Policy Workshop and to meet with our state Congressmen about a few bills involving nutrition. As soon as I get pics from my travel partner, I'll post about the trip. It.was.AMAZING.

Until then, here's a quick recap of February, and a few recent food favorites.

For Valentines Day, we cooked a basic baked chicken dinner and enjoyed some wine and dark chocolate, but my favorite part was the cheese platter. Thanks to the fabulous cheese board we received as a wedding gift, we had the right tools to cut the cheese. Hahaha. Platter included smoked goulda, goat cheese (my favorite), a sharp cheddar, and brie (another favorite).

I am a serious cheese lover-but this is a delicacy 

Another thing I have been making a lot lately, and another one of my absolute FAVORITES, is smoothies. They are so versatile and you can throw whatever you have in there. YUM. 

I like to use:
6 oz low fat yogurt (any flavor)
1/2 cup frozen berries (if you use fresh, you will want to add some ice)
a splash of juice or milk (whichever you prefer)

*you can also add a few Tbsp fat free cool whip for a frothy taste, replace yogurt with skim milk or 1/2 banana, add ground flax seed for even more fiber than the berries provide, or sometimes, I like to throw a cutie (clementine/tangerine) in there for a citrus-y taste!

so refreshing! And loaded with nutrients!

I've also been on a cool whip kick....so, another favorite of mine when I don't want to buy ice cream is what kraftfoods.com calls "Berries on a cloud." I just call it frozen deliciousness and make it a little bit differently.

Take a martini/wine glass and fill with:
1 scoop frozen fat free cool whip
1/3 cup frozen berries

super-cool light-up martini glass is from my 21st birthday

.....that's it! I like that it's frozen and chewy. The cool whip is creamy and similar in texture/flavor to ice cream, but with fewer calories. Don't get too carried away, though!


This post was a bit random, but I plan on posting a lot of healthy meal ideas soon to fit in with National Nutrition Month! I hope everyone is enjoying Spring's arrival! I'll be back sooner, rather than later, next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment