3.20.2011

"Flat Out" delicious

It's still the month of March, which means it is still National Nutrition Month. I'm sharing a few of my favorite lunch wraps and a guacamole recipe today.

Lately, I've been real into using wraps to make sandwiches. They are so versatile, and some of my favorites (i.e. Mission brand Carb Balance tortillas with 110 calories and 11g fiber for 8-inch, or 80 calories and 8g fiber for 6-inch!) are perfect for getting your daily recommended amount of fiber in (at least 25grams) with less calories.

Here is my favorite wrap to take in my lunch:
1 Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortilla (8inch)
1 wedge light Laughing Cow cheese (any flavor)
mustard
2 oz Turkey breast (or your favorite deli meat)

Only 205 calories, 11g fiber, 7g net carbs, 14g protein for the whole wrap! 
*I also like to add lettuce, tomato, and other veggies to fill up the wrap!


Another favorite that I wanted to share is the Flat Out. They are marketed as a flat bread that can be used as a wrap. My girlfriends and I also used them the other night to make individual pizzas on and they were delicious! A normal slice of pizza is 300 or more calories. You can make an invidividual pizza on a flat out for around 300 calories, if you choose your toppings wisely, and you get so much more pizza! On top of being versatile, they are very large (130 calories, but less fiber with 3g for the regular, 90 calories for the light) and can be split with someone when eating a soup/salad in addition. You have plenty of room to pack in healthy toppings to this wrap, like veggies.

Here is my favorite flat-out:
1 whole wheat flat out (they come in different flavors, and in light with only 90 calories)
1 wedge light Laughing Cow cheese (Queso Fresco & Chipotle)
Lettuce (mixed field greens or spinach)
1/3 cup black beans
2 Tbsp salsa
2 Tbsp avocado or guacamole

Calories differ, depending on if you use the regular/light flat out (130 or 90 calories) and if you use plain avocado or quacamole

It looks a little mess, but is oh-so good!

Last, here is my favorite recipe for guacamole, adapted from Hungry Girl's "Holy Moly Guacamole"

Creamy Guac:
1 avocado
1/4 cup non-fat greek yogurt, plain
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chili powder
salt
pepper
10 chopped grape/cherry tomatoes
*could add 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (I strongly dislike these things, so I omit!)

~310 calories: Avocados are high in monounsaturated fat (good for your heart) and very high in vitamin E and fiber. The calories are definitely worth it for this food because of the nutritional value that comes along with it!

For more info on laughing cow cheese wedges:

No comments:

Post a Comment